- You can get a personalized Indian diet plan for high blood pressure within minutes using the Hint app.
- This plan helps you control blood pressure levels, prevents complications due to high blood pressure, and reduces the risk of heart disease.
- Have a look at the do’s, don’ts, and general diet tips to support you in managing your blood pressure levels.
- Please contact us if you have any questions not answered in the FAQs.
Get Early Access
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or Whatsapp for early access and pricing details.
Have you been trying to control your blood pressure but haven't been able to?
Do you have high blood pressure, or have a family history of it?
If so, then this DASH diet plan is the perfect one for you to follow and start living a healthier life.
The DASH diet plan has been around for a while and it's one of the best ways to control your blood pressure.
And with our Hint app, we make it easy for you to get a personalized dash diet meal plan within minutes. Just download the Hint app and subscribe to the plan.
It helps you control your high blood pressure level by providing several meals that are rich in fruits, vegetables, and low-fat dairy products.
If you follow this diet plan for at least three months you can control your high blood pressure significantly while reducing the risk of heart disease and stroke.
Email us at email@example.com or Whatsapp us for more details.
Here are the key benefits, plan duration, and frequently asked questions.
- Helps control blood pressure levels.
- Prevents complications due to high blood pressure.
- Reduces risk of heart disease.
- Long-term use can reduce the dependence on hypertension medicine.
This is a monthly subscription plan. You can renew it every month, for three months, or once a year.
Taking your dietary preferences into consideration we have the DASH diet plan available in 3 different diet types, such as
1. Vegetarian diet plan for high blood pressure
This is a vegetarian diet plan containing plant-based foods and dairy products. It does not include eggs, meat, fish, seafood, and other animal products.
2. Ovo vegetarian diet plan for high blood pressure
This diet plan includes vegetarian foods and various egg recipes. It does not include meat, fish, seafood, and other animal products.
3. Non vegetarian diet plan for high blood pressure
This plan includes non-vegetarian foods such as meat, fish, seafood, and other animal products in addition to dairy products, eggs, and regular vegetarian foods.
- Keep your salt or sodium intake under control. Track your sodium intake using the Hint app diet summary.
- Start your day with a glass of lukewarm water and cinnamon powder.
- Indulge in regular physical activity early in the morning
- Have your pre-workout meal 15 minutes before starting your exercise. This will improve your performance.
- Eat breakfast along with recommended side dishes such as chutneys, sambar, or boiled egg to make it a balanced meal.
- Eat snacks between breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Include nuts and seeds like pista and pumpkin seeds to manage blood pressure.
- Drink buttermilk or black tea along with your snacks.
- As recommended in the plan, drink vegetable juices, buttermilk, black tea, and milk to keep yourself hydrated.
- Include plenty of water. Track your water intake using the Hint app.
- Follow the portion sizes included in your plan.
- Finish your dinner before 9 pm.
- Have your bedtime beverage at least 30 to 45 minutes before you sleep.
- Try to sleep before 11 pm every day. Sleep for at least 7 to 8 hours daily.
- Avoid excess sodium intake. Avoid including processed food, and package food. Check the list of high-sodium recipes from the recipes section of the Hint app.
- Avoid stress.
- Avoid foods high in preservatives.
- Avoid adding salt on top of any food.
- Avoid food high in saturated fats and cholesterol like beef, pork, lamb, veal, lard, cream, butter, and whole milk.
- Avoid aerated drinks as they are high in sugar content.
- Avoid smoking and alcohol intake.
- Avoid taking tea or coffee on an empty stomach.
- Do not skip your pre-workout meal.
- Avoid deep-fried or processed food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
- Don't skip your meals.
- Do not skip your mid-morning and evening snacks.
- Don’t drink coffee or tea after 6 pm.
- Monitor your blood pressure levels once a week.
- Make sure you check your blood pressure at the same time every week. Blood pressure changes with time during a particular day.
- Check your body weight once a week.
- Once in six months, test your HbA1c, lipid profile, and thyroid profile.
- Avoid taking herbal or home remedies without consulting your doctor.
- Try logging your food to learn about your sodium intake.
- Regular physical activity helps in maintaining blood pressure levels.
- Look for the word “sodium” on the nutrition label of any food. If in doubt, check the sodium content of such food using the Hint app.
- Do not neglect symptoms of high/low blood pressure.
- Take your medication regularly and on time.
- Include whole grains in the diet like oats, whole wheat, brown rice, and quinoa.
- Include salt-free seasonings on food.
- Include low-fat or fat-free milk and milk products.
- As recommended in this diet plan, include at least 2 servings of fruits in a day.
- Eating more fruits helps in increasing fiber intake as well as good potassium content. It helps to balance sodium content as well.
- Check the diet summary on the Hint app to track fiber and potassium intake.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the DASH diet ?
DASH diet stands for Dietary Approach to Stop Hypertension. It is clinically proven to help patients control high blood pressure and prevent complications.
2. What should be the normal blood pressure level ?
120/80 mm Hg is the normal blood pressure level. Read our blog on hypertension for more details.
3. What are systolic and diastolic blood pressure?
A blood pressure reading is written as 120/80 mmHg, or "120 over 80". The systolic pressure is 120, which measures the pressure in the arteries when the heart beats. Whereas, the diastolic pressure is 80, which measures the pressure in the arteries when the heart rests between the beats.
4. How do I know if I have high blood pressure ?
Regularly monitoring your blood pressure levels helps in proper diagnosis. Look for the symptoms like frequent headaches, irregular heartbeat, nosebleeds, breathing difficulty, and fatigue.
5. Should I take salt ? How much can I use ?
Do not eat more than 5 grams of salt per day. You can eat food containing low amounts of salt. Do not sprinkle any form of salt on the food you are eating.
Salt intake can be tracked using the Hint app in terms of sodium. Do not consume more than 2000 mg of sodium per day.
6. What dietary factors are responsible for hypertension ?
Following a diet with high salt, saturated fat, low fiber, low potassium and low calcium over the long term could lead to high blood pressure.
7. Can eggs be included in the DASH diet ?
Yes. Eating eggs does not affect your blood pressure. They can be included in the DASH diet. Eggs are a good breakfast option and are included in this diet plan.
8. What are the effects of exercise on high blood pressure ?
Moderate-intensity aerobic exercises like walking, jogging, cycling, and swimming can help maintain heart rate and lower blood pressure. However, you should avoid intensive workouts in short bursts like sprinting or weight lifting as these activities raise blood pressure rapidly.
9. Which nuts can be included in a DASH diet ?
Almonds, hazelnuts, brazil nuts, mixed nuts, peanuts, walnuts, sunflower seeds, and unsweetened peanut butter can be included in moderation in the diet. Some of them are included in this diet plan.
10. Is garlic good for high blood pressure ?
Yes. Garlic may help in lowering blood pressure and shielding from cardiovascular disease. Some recipes in this diet plan include garlic.
11. Is ginger good for high blood pressure ?
Yes. Ginger helps in controlling high blood pressure as it improves blood circulation. Many recipes in this diet plan include ginger.
12. Is green tea good for high blood pressure ?
Yes. Including green tea helps in reducing high blood pressure. Make sure not to drink more than 2-3 cups of green tea per day. Also, opt for caffeine-free green tea.
13. Is chocolate good for high blood pressure ?
No. Most chocolates contain caffeine and saturated fat which tends to increase your blood pressure. Also, they have high amounts of sugars which can result in unnecessary calorie intake leading to weight gain.
14. Is dark chocolate good for high blood pressure ?
Yes. A small piece of dark chocolate can be included daily as it contains a good amount of flavonoids which help in the reduction of high blood pressure. But check the nutrition label before you eat. Avoid dark chocolates containing high sugar and saturated fat.
15. Is lemon good for high blood pressure ?
Yes. Lemon is a good source of potassium and has powerful blood pressure-lowering effects.
16. Is caffeine good for high blood pressure ?
No. Caffeine leads to a short-term increase in blood pressure which can be harmful especially if you are hypertensive.
17. Is coffee good for high blood pressure ?
No. Coffee is a major source of high amounts of caffeine, which is not advised in the case of hypertension.
19. Is pomegranate good for high blood pressure ?
Yes. Pomegranates are a good source of potassium, and dietary fiber, and help in maintaining blood pressure.
19. Is alcohol good for high blood pressure ?
No. Alcohol is not healthy and hence raises blood pressure to unhealthy levels.
20. Is coconut water good for high blood pressure ?
Yes. Coconut water has a good content of potassium which helps in lowering high blood pressure. Also, it's a healthy drink to hydrate the body and balance electrolytes in the body.
21. Is tea good for high blood pressure ?
Drinking milk tea has adverse effects on health as it can lead to an increase in blood pressure as well as can cause issues like acidity and gastritis. But, including black tea or green tea (without caffeine) can help in lowering blood pressure.
22. Is beetroot good for blood pressure ?
Yes. Beetroots contain naturally high levels of nitrates which are converted into nitric oxide by our digestive system. This helps in relaxing blood vessels and hence lowering blood pressure.
23. Can blood pressure cause headaches ?
Yes. In the case of hypertension, a rise in blood pressure causes pressure in the cranium and thereby leading to headaches. However, the intensity and frequency of headaches vary for each individual.
24. Can lack of sleep cause an increase in blood pressure ?
Yes. People who sleep less than 6 hours a day tend to have increased blood pressure.
25. Can stress cause an increase in blood pressure ?
Yes. Stress can lead to the release of stress hormones in our blood. Due to the release of these hormones, our heart beats faster and constricts blood vessels for more blood. Due to this, our body’s blood pressure increases. But, this increase in blood pressure is temporary.
26. Is walking good for high blood pressure ?
Yes. A normal to moderate speed walk helps to lower high blood pressure. In case of high blood pressure avoid brisk walking to avoid stress.
27. Does fever cause an increase in blood pressure?
Yes. When you have a fever, the immunity of your body is low, the body temperature is high and thereby inflammation is high. This leads to an increase in heart rate as well as blood pressure.
28. What are the symptoms of low blood pressure?
Symptoms of low blood pressure are blurred vision, fainting, dizziness, fatigue, nausea, and excessive sweating.
29. What causes low blood pressure?
Reasons for low blood pressure are: eating very less or fasting, stress, dehydration, high doses of hypertension medications, antidepressants, heart diseases, and shock.
30. How to manage low blood pressure?
Drink more water, eat small and frequent meals, and keep moving your feet or legs even while sitting. For a short period, you can increase salt intake till the blood pressure is close to normal levels.
31. Are chia seeds good for high blood pressure ?
Yes. Chia seeds are a rich source of fiber and quercetin antioxidant, which helps in controlling high blood pressure and reducing the risk for other heart diseases.
32. Are almonds good for high blood pressure ?
Yes. Almonds help in reducing high blood pressure. They are rich sources of healthy fats, fiber, vitamin E, and magnesium. Do not include more than 5 - 10g of almonds in a day as including more almonds can lead to excess calorie intake.
33. Is chicken good for high blood pressure ?
Chicken is one of the healthiest animal proteins. Including chicken in moderation when blood pressure is in control is advised. But, if your blood pressure is high, then avoid chicken recipes.
34. Are dates good for high blood pressure ?
Yes. Dates are low in sodium and rich in fiber, potassium, magnesium, iron, and vitamin B6. Including dates can help lower high blood pressure and also help in controlling sugar cravings.
35. Is an apple good for high blood pressure ?
Yes. Apple provides a good amount of fiber, and potassium and helps in providing satiety. Including apples helps in controlling high blood pressure.
36. Is onion good for high blood pressure?
Yes. Onions help in controlling high blood pressure as they have anti-inflammatory properties, antioxidants, and reduce cholesterol.
37. What to drink to lower blood pressure quickly ?
Drinks like fresh coconut water, plain lemon water, fresh plain pineapple, or orange juice have instant effects in reducing high blood pressure. Make sure these lemon water or fruit juices should not contain any salts or masalas in them.
38. Can dehydration affect blood pressure ?
Yes. Dehydration can lead to constriction of blood vessels, which can cause an increase in blood pressure.
39. Is amla good for high blood pressure ?
Yes. Amla is one of the richest sources of vitamin C and potassium. It helps in controlling high blood pressure.
40. Is Himalayan salt good for high pressure ?
Himalayan pink salt has a lower amount of sodium as compared to normal table salt. Also, Himalayan pink salt doesn't cause much dehydration in the body. Hence, it is a good alternative to normal table salt for hypertensive people as it helps in controlling blood pressure.
41. Is fruit juice good for high blood pressure ?
Yes. Almost all fruits are rich in potassium, hence fresh fruit juices without any added sugar or salt help in controlling blood pressure.
42. Is honey good for lowering blood pressure ?
Natural honey, without any sugars, has antioxidants such as phenolic acids and flavonoids which help in lowering blood pressure. Make sure to include it in moderation as honey has the same calories as that sugars and can lead to unnecessary weight gain.
43. What are the complications of high blood pressure ?
High blood pressure can cause heart diseases, strokes, heart attacks, and kidney diseases.
44. How to prevent low blood pressure ?
To prevent low blood pressure, avoid fasting, keep yourself hydrated, eat small and frequent meals, and keep yourself active by doing a moderate level of physical activity daily for at least 30 mins.
45. Is paneer good for high blood pressure ?
Yes. People with high blood pressure can take paneer as it is a good source of calcium and protein. Try to include low-fat paneer to avoid extra calories and fat content.
46. Is banana good for high blood pressure?
Yes. Banana can be a part of your diet in case of high blood pressure as it is a rich source of potassium and helps in improving digestion.
47. Can kidney diseases cause high blood pressure ?
Yes. Renal hypertension also called renal artery stenosis is a situation where blood pressure increases due to the narrowing of arteries that carry blood to the kidney. In any kidney disease, when the arteries narrow and the blood is not properly received by the kidney, it leads to a rise in blood pressure.
48. What is considered dangerously low blood pressure ?
A sudden drop in blood pressure, which is a 20mm/Hg drop is considered dangerous as it may cause dizziness, and nose bleeding. Blood pressure less than 90/60mm Hg is considered dangerous.